The cost of living crisis has made it more important than ever for us to claim every penny we’re owed and this week (12th Sept) Martin Lewis, the Money Saving Expert, turned his attention to helping healthcare professionals do just that.
This could not have come at a better time! A recent survey carried out among our subscriber database of healthcare professionals revealed that only 14.5% were aware of the footwear allowance, and only 11 per cent had claimed the amount.
The good news is that this can be backdated for up to four years, so as long as you get your claim in before the next tax year begins on 5 April 2023, you could be eligible for the full amount of £72.
Lewis spoke to the Sun newspaper to share his tips, here we share the highlights:
- Nursing professionals can claim an annual allowance of £12 against the cost of their footwear
- A further £6 is available towards the cost of socks or tights/stockings
- Anyone who is required to wear a particular colour and style of shoe or hosiery as part of their uniform can claim this amount.
- Claims can be backdated for up to four years so if you have never claimed this allowance you may be due as much as £72 (Shoe allowance - £12 x 4 = £48, Sock allowance - £6 x 4 = £24)
- You do not need a receipt to claim this amount.
- References to ‘nurse’ include nurses and midwives of all grades, as well as auxiliaries, students, dental nurses, nursing assistants and healthcare assistants or workers.
Check here to see what you are owed: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/job-expenses-for-uniforms-work-clothing-and-tools
Toffeln is dedicated to making life easier for our nurses. That includes using the latest technology to design footwear which eases work-related musculoskeletal disorders, but it doesn’t end there. To find out more about the science of comfort visit https://toffeln.shop/pages/comforttech.
To view our full range visit toffeln.shop.